Once your enrollment has been confirmed
It's time to begin planning for your semester in Los Angeles.
Final acceptance into the program is contingent on your ability to complete program pre-departure requirements and meet all program eligibility requirements by your semester of participation. If you fail to meet ANY of the eligibility criteria by the move-in date for your semester of participation in the program, your acceptance to the program will be rescinded. If you have already traveled to Los Angeles, you will incur severe financial penalties (you will not be eligible for refunds on any of the program-related fees), and you will be required to vacate the student accommodations. If you have questions or concerns related to your eligibility to participate in this program at any point, contact the UTLA Center immediately.
Download the timeline for your semester of participation from this page to see the schedule of payments and refund deadlines. UT students receiving financial aid through the UT Office of Student Financial Services may defer UT tuition payments to their financial aid, which is released prior to the start of the semester of participation. However, all other program fee and housing fee payments cannot be deferred to financial aid, and are due by the published deadlines. Because aid for the semester of participation is not released until approximately one week before classes begin, you will need to make alternate arrangements to meet the payment schedule. Please consult a financial aid advisor in the UT Office of Student Financial Services as early as possible about possible alternatives.
General Planning Guidelines
- Download the checklist/timeline for your semester of participation, so that you don't miss important registration and payment deadlines that could negatively impact your enrollment.
- Consult your academic advisor about your participation in the program and inquire about policies, requirements and deadlines that could impact your graduation date. If you are approaching graduation, this is particularly important.
- Research and apply for scholarships to help offset the cost of your semester in Los Angeles.
- Take the time to become familiar with the Semester in Los Angeles Student Handbook and class materials.
- Begin your internship research, although it is advisable to wait to contact potential employers approximately one semester before participation.
- Prepare your resume for interships by reading the Resume Writing Guide by the Communication Career Services.
- Attend a mandatory Semester in Los Angeles Program Pre-Departure Orientation before your semester of participation.
Participants in the Semester in Los Angeles Program are provided housing in a gated, extended-stay corporate housing facility, the Oakwood Toluca Hills Corporate Housing, which is located within walking distance from the UTLA Center, where classes are held. All undergraduate students participating in the Semester in Los Angeles program are required to live in The Oakwood – Toluca Hills Corporate Housing. Graduate students are not required to do so. Each apartment is fully-furnished and appointed. Pets are not permitted in the apartments.
Apartment amenities include: kitchen appliances (dishwasher & dining room table); TV, VCR, and telephone; dishes, cookware, utensils, coffee maker, electric blender, toaster, microwave oven, oven mitts & carving board; bed & bath linens, clock radio; dust pan and broom, vacuum, steam iron & board; patio furniture, accessories, silk plants and framed wall pictures. All utilities are included: water, power, trash, basic cable, local telephone service, voice mail & features, individually controlled heating and air-conditioning. Each apartment is provided 4 access codes which allows each student their own internet access.
Students may choose from three housing options at the Oakwood Apartments:
- Live in a 2-bedroom apartment shared with 3 other roommates.
- Live in a 1-bedroom apartment shared with 1 roommate.
- Live by themselves in a studio apartment.
Most students elect to share an apartment with three other roommates. Students will be asked to indicate their housing preference and roommate requests when they apply for admission to the program. While the UTLA Center staff will make every effort to accommodate students’ housing and roommate requests, final decisions will rest on overall student enrollment and housing availability issues. If you have questions, please contact the program coordinator. Requests and changes will be accepted up until the final housing payment deadline for the semester of participation.
Please note the UTLA program follows The University of Texas at Austin housing policies regarding roommate arrangements. Students of the opposite sex enrolled in the UT Semester in Los Angeles Program may share an apartment if they are married students. UT-Austin housing regulations dictate that married applicants are required to provide two forms of photo IDs (one being their UT), a copy of the marriage license/marriage certificate or Form I-20, birth certificates and passports (when applicable) for children or extended family members. All marriages must be recognized by the State of Texas. These documents must be provided to the UTLA Center prior to move-in.
Useful Links and Resources
- Living in Los Angeles
- Emergency Earthquake Guidelines
- Transportation Options
- Local Restaurant List
- UT Counseling and Mental Health
University and Program Policies
Complete Pre-Departure Requirements
Attend Pre-Departure Orientation
Friday, March 22, 3:00pm, BMC 1.202
Attendance is required.