Internal Transfer Information
Students can apply to transfer to, or change majors within, Communication each February and September.
Applicants will be identified as a member of one of the following application review groups.
- FAST-TRACK REVIEW: applicants who entered the University as Communication majors, and those who did not but have been Communication majors for a semester or longer (at time of application), do not need to provide an essay and resume. Note that due to overwhelming demand no RTF applicants will be considered Fast-Track Review applicants.
- FULL REVIEW: all RTF applicants, applicants who are not Communication majors, and those who have been Communication majors for less than a semester, must submit a full application. Click here for details about the application.
How you'll apply
All applicants must meet the following minimum standards in order to move forward to the Review Phase.
- Students who have applied to change their major must have a minimum GPA of 2.00 in the College and a UT GPA of 2.25.
- Students who want to add a second major (or change their current second major) must have 30 hours in-residence and minimum UT and Communication GPAs of 2.75.
- Applicants must be enrolled at UT Austin during the semester in which they apply.
- Students who apply to the Advertising or PR major must have completed Advertising 318J and earned a B or better by the end of the application semester.
All applications will be reviewed after final grades post for the semester.
FAST-TRACK REVIEW applicants who meet the minimum requirements listed above will be accepted.
FULL REVIEW applications (review the details of the application here) will be reviewed by committee members and judged on several factors including: academic performance (both within and outside the College), the number of courses taken in the requested major, the applicant's performance in those courses, strength of the essays and experience (as indicated on the resume). The number of these applications that are approved varies each semester and depends on the number of students the College graduates.
All applicants are notified of the committee's decision via email. These notifications typically are sent out in early June and early January (to allow time for the winter break). All decisions are final and may not be appealed.
All accepted students must then complete the following steps:
- Confirm the change/add major. Students must accept their new major by following the directions included in the acceptance email.
- Enroll in courses at UT Austin in the following semester
- Internal Transfer Orientation. All accepted students must complete an online orientation.
The next Internal Transfer application will be available in September, 2013.
Summer 2013 Information Sessions
You must attend an information session before you may schedule an appointment with the Internal Transfer Advisor. Attendance is not required in order to apply for Internal Transfer. Check back regularly for new dates or location and time changes.
All sessions are from 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. and will be held in BMC 5.208, unless otherwise noted.
Friday, June 7
Wednesday, June 12
Wednesday, June 19 (BMC 5.102)
Wednesday, June 26 (BMC 5.102)
Friday, June 28
Wednesday, July 3
Wednesday, July 10
Friday, July 12
Tuesday, July 16
Xavier Oaks, Internal Transfer Advisor – Advising (by appointment only), information sessions.
Lauren Brown, Student Services Coordinator - Application problems and technical assistance.